Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pick your battles.

Some of the best advice I was given when pregnant with Aubrey was to pick your battles.

I'm sure most of you parents out there know what I'm talking about.  You know, asking yourself if it's really worth the fight on some things... and I've found that it definitely applies once your kids are around 4 years old and diving head first into indipendence.   At that age, I allowed Aubrey to visit my niece in the Children's Hospital while wearing a huge poofy Cinderella costume.  I let Hayden drink the fry sauce from the container (what, do you blame him??). 

And now, it's Carson's turn.

Last Saturday night, Carson discovered one of the toys that I had put away for over a year awhile called  Tag Tails Zoo Chase.

Basically, there are four belts (or seatbelts as Carson calls them) and you clip one of them on.. then there is a tail that snaps into it.. the kids chase each other around trying to grab the other tails.

Carson's favorite is the Tiger Tail.

He wore it Saturday evening.

He slept in it Saturday night.

Wore it all day Sunday.

Slept in it Sunday night.

He wore it Monday morning and just before lunch, I mentioned to Carson that he needed to take it off because it was time to go to preschool.

He did not agree and was quite upset.  He said that he wanted to wear it to school so that he could show his friends and his teacher.

Pick your battles.

So, I did it.  I let my 3 year old wear a tiger tail to school. 



He was so excited!   And because I have no shame, I documented this experience with the aid of my cell phone.



The kids all thought it was great and the teacher got a kick out of Carson jumping around and growling.




And then just like that, he took it off and put it in his backpack.  No fight.



I love good advice.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. There are so many things I just don't fight anymore. Let them be a kid! I gave you an award on my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that weird...my 3 year old calls belts "seatbelts" too. Must be a kid thing... :/

    ReplyDelete